It's not often that I get to photograph my family on an outing. I usually opt to bring along my trusty iPhone to Instagram bits and bobs of our day. However, the day we went to Serenbe, in Chattahoochee Hills, was a gorgeous winter's day so I decided to bring the big guns! But, any camera is great to have when you are out and about. The best camera is the one you have on you!
Serenbe is so unique. It's a combination of farm, residential living, and haven for creatives. You can even grab lunch while you are there! Now FYI, Serenbe does not allow professional photography sessions without a permit, but personal photographs of your visit are welcome! I came as a mom this day and just documented our fun as a family. I'm so glad I did! We had a blast!
Family outings are definitely something we moms want to capture for posterity. Today, I'm going to share a few of my tips for documenting your family moments because I know you want memorable images of these happy golden years with your kids!
1. Catch the action! Nothing tells how it feels to be somewhere than action in your photographs.
2. Photograph the details that make a location special. The animals at Serenbe are part of the charm, so I wanted to include them.
3. Capture what it feels like to be there. Ok, this is a big one! So many times, as parents documenting our fun, we ask our kids to stop the fun and smile for the camera. And we give that dreaded request, "say cheese!" The smiles are cute, but there is no sense of the experience in those photographs. Don't ask your kids to pose all the time, just capture them as they are. This makes for a more memorable photograph of your day.
4. Utilize the landscapes and structures around you. Many people, when they see something neat-o, just take a picture of that neat-o thing. But, I think you should put your family into the neat-o thing for a more memorable image. Years from now, you may not remember why you thought something was neat-o, but you will love that you have the image of your family!
5. Now, grab a few smiles! Smiles and poses are fine and dandy as a part of your day and help tell the story. They just aren't the whole story! So, use these request to smile and make eye contact for when it counts.
Bonus tip: Forget perfection! Be present in your day and just look for the opportunity to apply some of these tips when you do bring out the camera. Don't worry about smudges on faces, messy hair, and mud on the pants. This is real and real is okay!
So, that's 5 tips and a bonus for capturing memorable photos of your family on an outing! I have more tips to share in my free download on how to take better photos of your kids!
Head over to the link and get your download!